#What is Amateur Radio?
Its very difficult to express the meaning of Amateur Radio in a single sentance, but i am trying to express it as below – “Amateur Radio Popularly Known as HAM RADIO is a is a popular hobby and service that brings people, electronics and communication together. People use ham radio to talk across town, around the world, or even into space, all without the Internet or cell phones. It’s fun, social, educational, and can be a lifeline during times of need.”
Well Amateur Radio , its popularly also known as “HAM RADIO”. Have you ever wondered why radio amateurs are called “HAMS?”the Three word HAM Means as per the Florida Skip Magazine -1959,
Well, it goes like this: The word “HAM” as applied to 1908 was the station CALL of the first amateur wireless stations operated by some amateurs of the Harvard Radio Club. They were ALBERT S. HYMAN, BOB ALMY and POOGIE MURRAY.
At first they called their station “HYMAN-ALMY-MURRAY”. Tapping out such a long name in code soon became tiresome and called for a revision. They changed it to “HY-AL-MU,” using the first two letters of each of their names. Early in 1901 some confusion resulted between signals from amateur wireless station “HYALMU” and a Mexican ship named “HYALMO.” They then decided to use only the first letter of each name, and the station CALL became “HAM.”
In the early pioneer days of unregulated radio amateur operators picked their own frequency and call-letters. Then, as now, some amateurs had better signals than commercial stations. The resulting interference came to the attention of congressional committees in Washington and Congress gave much time to proposed legislation designed to critically limit amateur radio activity. In 1911 ALBERT HYMAN chose the controversial WIRELESS REGULATION BILL as the topic for his Thesis at Harvard. His instructor insisted that a copy be sent to Senator DAVID I. WALSH, a member of one of the committees hearing the Bill. The Senator was so impressed with the thesis is that he asked HYMAN to appear before the committee. ALBERT HYMAN took the stand and described how the little station was built and almost cried when he told the crowded committee room that if the BILL went through that they would have to close down the station because they could not afford the license fees and all the other requirements which the BILL imposed on amateur stations.
Congressional debate began on the WIRELESS REGULATION BILL and little station “HAM” became the symbol for all the little amateur stations in the country crying to be saved from the menace and greed of the big commercial stations who didn’t want them around. The BILL finally got to the floor of Congress and every speaker talked about the “…poor little station HAM.” That’s how it all started. You will find the whole story in the Congressional Record.
Nation-wide publicity associated station “”HAM” with amateur radio operators. From that day to this, and probably until the end of time in radio an amateur is a “HAM.”
#You can do the following with Amateur Radio-
Amateur radio operators called Ham uses theirs free times to communicate not only within India but also all over the world ,even in the Space station using theirs Radio set up , its basically a two way radio communication between the Amateur Radio operators .
- HAM can makes friend all over the world
- UHF/VHF Communication can be used to make two way communication with in a city or nearby city.
- HF communication Can be used to talk within half of world or all over the World .
- Fox hunting , it is a popular game where HAMs are uses theirs skills to find out a hidden radio transmission source within a city , who first find out it they are called First Fox Hunter.
- QRP Station, its a popular that very small wattage transmission can be communicate within several country.
- ATV- Amateur Radio Television its a Real Television where Video can be transmit using it.
- SSTV- Slow scan Television its fun to send pictures using this without using any Wifi or Internets.
- Contest- Regularly Radio communication contest are organised by somany organisation. a HAM can participated those contest.
- HAM Radio communication can be used while normal Telephonic and Cell phone communication is not Working then HAM RAdio Communication solves the purpose.
- Emergency and other volunteer services when likes Floods, landslides, tsunamis, earthquakes, cyclones, . When ever ‘normal’ communications go out, hams are ready to use their radios to provide emergency communication services to their communities.
- Satellite communications – Hams operate using their own satellites for world wide communication using Walkie-Talkies or Base Stations.
- Home brewing : You can make your own transmitters, receivers, antennas etc. and enjoy the hobby.
How ever I will try to discuss all the topic about amateur Radio in the ” Advanced Amateur Radio ” section please keep watching time to time for updates.
# How to be a HAM or Amateur Radio Operator?
Any individuals above 12 years age can be a ham after qualifying a Exam called ASOC or Amateur Radio Station Operator Certificate Examination .
The Wireless Monitoring Station, Dept. of Telecommunication under Ministry of Communication, Govt. of India is the Examining and Licensing Authority in India.
- There are 2 grades of licences:
- 1. Restricted Grade – Permitting use of Medium power. (1 hour exam) No need Morse Code
- 2. General Grade – Permitting use of Higher power. (2 hour exam) Need to pass Morse Code Also.
- The exam fee is Rs. 100 per grade.
- The licence fee for 20 years is Rs.1000/- and Rs.2000/- for life time.
- the details Syllabus can be found later in separate post in this category. please keep updated here.
How ever I will upload a separate topic about theASOC exam syllabus and exam related matters later. please keep updated here.